LawVu Limited (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (NZ Privacy Act) and other applicable privacy and data protection laws when dealing with personal information.
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person), and includes personal data, personally identifiable information and equivalent information under applicable privacy and data protection laws.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under applicable privacy and data protection laws. If you wish to seek further information on the NZ Privacy Act, see www.privacy.org.nz
Changes to this policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
This policy was last updated on 12 May 2021
What personal information do we collect
We collect, hold and process two categories of personal information:
Account and Marketing Data is personal information that we collect about you:
- in connection with the creation or administration of a customer account
- if you ask to receive information about us or our services or sign up to our newsletter
- when you sign up to or access or use our services
- when you contact us directly (e.g. telephone call, website enquiry form, email or through your user dashboard) or visit our website
- if you participate in customer feedback surveys.
- The Account and Marketing Data we collect may include company/personal names, usernames, phone numbers, email addresses and any other contact information you provide to us, your location, billing information, purchase history, information about how you use our website or services (for example, traffic volumes, time spent on pages), your IP address and/or other device identifying data, information contained in your correspondence with us or survey responses and other information required to provide a service or information you have requested from us.
- Users of our services may collect personal information from individuals (e.g. their employees, service providers, clients and customers and personnel of those service providers, clients and customers) and upload, store or process that information to or in those services (User Data).
- We only process User Data as authorised by our customers in our Standard Terms & Conditions (available at [insert]) and/or other agreements with our customers that govern the processing of User Data (as applicable). Unless required otherwise under applicable law, if we receive any request or enquiry relating to User Data, we will forward this request to our relevant customer.
Specific to users of the LawVu Gmail add-in
The LawVu Gmail add-in use and transfer to any other app of information received from Google APIs will adhere to the Google API Services User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
We do not intend to collect personal information from or about children aged under 16. If you have reason to believe that we have collected personal information from or about a child under the age of 16, please contact us at email@example.com
Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when you buy or use our services and products
- third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
When you visit or use our website or services, we may collect information about you:
- by recording clickstream data, which is non-personal information that is recorded when you click anywhere on a webpage and is used for the purposes of collecting, analysing and reporting data about how you use our website and related services
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
How we use your personal information
We may use your personal information:
- to verify your identity
- to provide services and products to you
- to market our services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- to improve the services and products that we provide to you
- to undertake credit checks of you (if necessary)
- to bill you and to collect money that you owe us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or applicable privacy and data protection laws.
We may transfer your information in the case of a sale, merger, consolidation, liquidation, reorganisation or acquisition.
You can stop receiving our marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in those emails or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosing your personal information
We may disclose your personal information:
- to another company within our group
- to any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
- to a credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you
- to other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- to a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- to any other person authorised by applicable law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- to other users of the application
- to any other person authorised by you
- for any other purpose authorised by you.
International transfers of personal information
A business that supports our services and products may be located outside New Zealand (the country where we are incorporated) and also outside of the country where you are located. This may mean your personal information may be transferred to, held and processed in a country outside of New Zealand and the country where you are located. Please see the GDPR Addendum for further information about personal data transfers from the European Economic Area.
Some of the personal information we collect is processed in New Zealand. New Zealand is recognised by the European Commission as a country that has an adequate level of data protection and we rely on this decision in transferring personal information to New Zealand.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse in accordance with applicable law. We implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risks inherent in processing personal information.
You play an important role in keeping your personal information secure by maintaining the confidentiality of any password and accounts used in relation to our products and services. You should not disclose your password to third parties. Please notify us immediately if there is any unauthorised use of your account or any other breach of security.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal under the NZ Privacy Act or other applicable privacy and data protection laws, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at email@example.com. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
We may, if permitted under applicable law, charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
The personal information that we collect and use will not be kept longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is collected, or for the duration required for compliance with applicable law, whichever is longer.
If you have any questions about this policy, our privacy practices, or if you would like to request access to, or correction of, your personal information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.