Senior Legal Counsel
LawVu is transforming the legal industry by providing the world’s leading and most loved platform for in-house legal teams.
Our aim is to make the lives of in-house legal teams and their business partners more productive and fulfilling. We are well on the way with some of the world’s leading global brands and best in-house legal teams already operating on LawVu.
Growing super fast, LawVu is headquartered in sunny Tauranga, New Zealand with teams in Australia, Europe, the USA, and Ireland. Our culture is strongly values aligned where we look for people to bring their whole selves and join a team doing the best work of their lives.
We’re now looking for a senior lawyer to join our growing legal team. Being commercially focussed and providing robust but practical legal services is essential, but in this role you will be able to do more than just “legal”. Having worked in-house you will understand how in-house legal teams function, their issues, concerns and ambitions, which means your input will be sought on a range of marketing and product initiatives, and by drawing on those previous experiences you will enable all areas of the business to continue to develop a world-class product and brand.
What you’ll do…
Work with the organization to help scale the global business and manage legal risk by:
- Supporting a fast-moving sales team to close international SaaS contracts
- Leading international commercial negotiations with some of the biggest brands in technology, government, banking, and other industries
- Provide robust but practical legal advice
- Ensuring compliance with a variety of laws and regulations impacting SaaS products, including intellectual property, privacy and security.
- Providing guidance on marketing messaging, and internal policies and processes that contribute to the success of product initiatives
- Supporting Marketing, Product and Engineering teams in developing and launching new products and features
- Building best-in-class runbooks and processes to allow our rapidly growing sales team to scale their go-to-market efforts quickly
- Continually improving our standard form agreements and online T&Cs, legal processes, policies, and training.
What you’ll need…
- Licensed to practice law from the State Bar Association
- Minimum 8 – 12 years’ experience as a commercial lawyer, preferably with at least 3 of those years gained as an in-house lawyer.
- Experience in contract drafting, international data privacy laws, intellectual property, and corporate governance/company secretarial
- Excellent negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Ability to provide clear and concise business-minded guidance around legal issues
- Collaborative, friendly, and flexible approach to working with geographically dispersed teams
- Ability to work quickly and competently to prioritize, manage, and multi-task in a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to provide thought leadership on issues concerning in-house legal teams
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Highly analytical with strong attention to detail
- An enabling attitude with an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for technology
Shaun Plant – CLO
About LawVu & our culture
LawVu is a modern software platform that is revolutionizing the way corporate legal teams manage legal and engage with the wider business. LawVu is creating a true legal operating system. We’re helping in-house legal teams to reduce risk while providing massive productivity gains along with cloud technology to share and collaborate on files. We have both clients and staff around the world so if you enjoy working in a fast based entrepreneurial environment then you are the person we are looking for.
Our team is only as strong as the culture it is built upon. Our core values are listed below.
If our core values resonate with you and have the skills and desire to get your teeth stuck into a real challenge then we would love to welcome you to the team.
LawVu was founded to bring greater honesty and integrity to the legal industry – so it makes sense that we ourselves, are good, honest people. We believe in staying humble, and realise that we all have a lot to learn, no matter who we are. We believe in acknowledging others and giving credit where it’s due. Find the “truth” Listen carefully Question intently Connect with empathy Be honest and transparent.
Challenge each other. Respectfully.
Back yourself. Back others.
At LawVu, we are inspired by ‘impossibilities’. To make the ‘impossible’ a reality, each and every one of us must think like a problem solver – erasing the word ‘can’t’ from our minds. There is always a way to overcome challenges and we won’t rest until we’ve found it. If we can’t find the right path, that’s when it’s time to build a new one. Trust in our individual expertise. Grab opportunities. Embrace challenges. Mistakes happen. Own them. Learn from them, spread the knowledge. Be truthful. Be helpful. Be kind. Celebrate your successes.
We are a tribe, we win as a team.
Move swiftly. Create simplicity.
To reach our full potential it is vital that every team member own their actions. To own your actions is to embrace responsibility, show leadership and take initiative. To ‘put our name on it’ is also to take pride in everything we do – from our results to our customer service and quality of solutions. Do the things that matter most. Be fluid and flexible If you can solve a problem, solve it now. Optimise the important.
Design for scalability.
Bring your whole self.
We are passionate about what we do and we work hard to deliver results. In saying that, we are serious about striking a healthy work/life balance. We know that our work improves as a result of feeling content both inside and out of the office and encourage the team to work the hours that suit their situation. We also believe flexibility and fresh thinking hold the key to future growth. It is up to each of us to champion new ideas and approach change with an open mind.
Bring your personality Bring your quirks. Bring your diversity. Bring your smile. Enjoy the adventure.